UN reports 4M go hungry in Chad during lean season

By Anjali Sharma

UNITED NATIONS – UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric said on Tuesday that the humanitarians in Chad are warned about the impact of the forthcoming lean season on food security, amid already dire conditions

A regional assessment found that some 2.4 million people are not getting enough to eat, which is expected to rise to 3.7 million people, or 20 per cent of the population, during the lean season from June to August.

Over 2 million children under the age of five are malnourished, including more than half a million who are suffering from severe acute malnutrition are at risk of dying in the coming months without the appropriate treatment.

He said 300,000 pregnant and breast-feeding women are suffering from acute malnutrition.

Mr. Dujarric told reporters in New York that “this crisis is due to shocks, including natural catastrophes such as floods, which have destroyed croplands, in addition to the increasing price of basic commodities.”

Humanitarians warned that unless significant funding is received before the end of March, there will be no time to prevent a full-scale food security and nutrition crisis.

They have appealed for $1.45 billion to support operations in Chad this year but have so far received under $60 million, 4 per cent.

Comments are closed.