Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 7th Feb. UN aid agencies on Monday have launched emergency response to help thousands of reported victims, those believed to be buried under the rubble in the aftermath of quake in Turkiye and Syria.
UN reported 7.8 magnitude quake hit close to Gaziantep, followed by 7.5 magnitude tremor several hours later.
After a massive earthquake hit southern Türkiye and northern Syria in the early hours of Monday, prompted fears of a humanitarian crisis,
UN Secretary-General António Guterres said in a statement issued by his spokesman Stephane Dujarric in New York “My heart goes out to the people of Türkiye and Syria in this hour of tragedy“
“The United Nations is fully committed to supporting the response. Our teams are on the ground assessing the needs and providing assistance.”
UN aid coordination office OHCHA, said that there had been “close to 2,000 death reported” in the two countries impacted, with at least 78 aftershocks reported, ahead of the second earthquake.
The Turkish Government has issued a Level 4 alarm, called for international assistance.
Northwest Syria is home to 4.1 million people who rely on humanitarian assistance, the majority, women and children.
Syrian communities have been hit by an on-going cholera outbreak together with harsh winter weather. There is a 48 per cent funding gap for the last quarter of 2022, with $371 million pledged, out of a required total of just over $800 million.
Mr. Guterres said that the UN was counting on the international community to help the many thousands caught up in the disaster, “many of whom were already in dire need of humanitarian aid in areas where access is a challenge.”
WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a tweet emergency medical teams from the WHO have been given the green light to provide essential care for the injured and most vulnerable.
Specialist UN surge teams from the Office of UN Disaster Assessment and Coordination tweeted that they were “ready to deploy”, amid multiple horrifying social media posts showing buildings collapsing in heavily built-up areas.
UN in Türkiye expressed deep sadness at the loss of life and the destruction of property. The team expressed its condolences to the families of victims “as well as to the people and Government”, wishing the injured a speedy recovery.
“United Nations Türkiye expresses its solidarity with Türkiye and is ready to assist.”
OCHA underscored that the initial 7.8 magnitude quake hit at the height of winter. The epicentre was in southern Türkiye, where nearby Gaziantep an important UN aid hub for northern Syria – was among the cities affected.
“Deeply saddened by the loss of life caused by this morning’s #earthquake,” the UN refugee agency in Syria tweeted.
It added that it was “actively coordinating a response with #UN Agencies and other humanitarian actors to deliver assistance and support to those in need in Syria”.
The earthquake was felt as far away as Lebanon, closer to home, northern Syria’s Aleppo and Idlib saw thousands of building collapse, including two hospitals.
Humanitarian needs in northern Syria are huge, as the region is home to millions of people displaced by the country’s long-running war.
Snow and rain have hampered the work of rescue teams, whose families are also among those believed to buried under collapsed buildings.
UNICEF confirmed that it was ready to support the emergency response.
UNICEF Executive Director Catherine Russell that “Our hearts and thoughts are with the children and families in Türkiye and Syria affected by the devastating earthquakes. Our deepest condolences to those who lost loved ones,”
UN migration agency said that is warehouse in Gaziantep had prepared non-food items and essential relief ready to be deployed.
“IOM teams are also doing on-the-ground assessments to inform the response”, said spokesperson Safa Msehli.
Director-General Antonio Vitorino tweets his solidarity “with people in Türkiye, Syria, Lebanon, the Palestinian Territories, Jordan and all those affected in the deadly earthquake. We will be working closely with governments in the region to support those affected and help alleviate their suffering.”
UNICEF said that official figures from the two nations affected indicated that more than 2,300 have died and “these numbers are only likely to increase.”
Heavy snowstorms have hit parts of Syria and Türkiye in recent days, with further sub-zero temperatures forecasted.
“The images we’re seeing out of Syria and Türkiye are heart-wrenching,” said UNICEF Executive Director Catherine Russell.
“That the initial earthquake happened so early in the morning, when many children were fast asleep, made it even more dangerous, and the aftershocks bring continuing risks.
“Our hearts and thoughts are with the children and families affected, especially those who have lost loved ones or who have been injured. Our immediate priority is to ensure children and families affected receive the support they so desperately need.”
UNICEF said that it is likely that schools, hospitals and other medical and educational facilities will have been damaged or destroyed by the earthquakes, further impacting children.
Potential damage to roads and critical infrastructure will also complicate search and rescue efforts and the wider humanitarian response, it concluded.
Comments are closed.