Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 30th Nov. UN acting Humanitarian Coordinator for South Sudan Marie-Helene Verney on Wednesday said that humanitarians have launched a $1.8 billion plan to support 6 million people in South Sudan next year.
The conflict in neighboring Sudan has had an impact on the country’s economy, increasing the prices of food and the number of vulnerable people who need assistance.
It is estimated that 7.1 million people in South Sudan will continue to be food insecure during the lean season, which runs from April to July, while roughly 1.6 million children will remain at risk of malnutrition.
Marie-Helene Verney said that humanitarians will work to ensure that people no longer have to depend on aid.
“Sadly, for most people, we expect multiple shocks, including the negative impact of climate change, which will continue to drive acute needs next year,” she added.
The humanitarian plan called for $1.7 billion last year and is only 54 per cent funded.
Comments are closed.