Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 3rd Dec. UN Spokesperson Satephane Dujarric in New York on Saturday said in a statement that UN engagement with Sudan will continue in the wake of the decision to terminate its political mission in the country.
Security Council adopted a resolution to close the UN Integrated Transition Assistance Mission in Sudan after from the authorities.
UNITAMS was established in June 2020 to provide support to Sudan for an initial 12-month period during its transition to democratic rule following the overthrow of President Omar al-Bashir, who had been in power for 30 years.
Sudan’s military Government, whose forces have been battling the RSF militia for control of the country since mid-April, has said that the UN mission was failing to meet expectations.
Guterres noted the Council resolution, UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric said in a statement issued on Friday evening.
He added that the UN Country Team in Sudan will continue its essential work there, including providing lifesaving humanitarian assistance.
“The Secretary-General remains deeply concerned about the escalating conflict in the Sudan and its devastating impact on civilians and will continue to engage with all Sudanese stakeholders in support of the aspirations of the Sudanese people for a peaceful and secure future,” the statement continued.
“He reiterates his call to the warring parties to reach an agreement on an immediate ceasefire and engage in discussions to achieve a permanent cessation of hostilities.
Comments are closed.