UN chief says demand for peacebuilding outstrips supply

Anjali Sharma

GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 21st March.
UN chief Antonio Guterres on Wednesday in a new report published in New York stated that after an intensification and multiplication of crises, the demand for support to UN peacebuilding continues to outstrip supply.

Guterres said “The wars grabbing the headlines today only underscore the need to invest now in sustainable peace for tomorrow”.

The report covered the period from 1 January to 31 December highlights that in 2023 the Peacebuilding Fund approved over $200 million for projects in 36 countries and territories, including for women’s and youth empowerment.

The decision of the General Assembly to provide assessed contributions to the Fund starting in 2025 marked a milestone, the Fund reached its lowest liquidity level since its inception due to a decline in contributions last year.

Assistant-Secretary General for Peacebuilding Support Elizabeth Spehar said “This is a time to redouble, not diminish, peacebuilding efforts,”.

she added  that “This year’s report shows again that peacebuilding works: stronger institutions and inclusive dialogues help break and prevent cycles of violence.”

Comments are closed.