By Anjali Sharma
UNITED NATIONS- According to the latest news reports on Saturday indicated that over 1,600 have been killed in Myanmar with thousands injured following two powerful earthquakes on Friday which have left hundreds trapped under rubble.
The earthquakes of 7.7 and 6.4 magnitude struck Myanmar in central Myanmar northwest of Sagaing.
UN aid coordination office, OCHA, reported on Saturday that hospitals in the area are overwhelmed with extensive damage to health infrastructure.
The areas affected are Bago, Magway, Mandalay, Naypyitaw, Northeastern Shan and Sagaing.
Internet communications are down in the main city of Mandalay, with land and air routes heavily disrupted, OCHA said.
The agency noted that ealth partners are preparing to deploy mobile surgical and medical teams, as well as field hospitals to the affected areas, to deliver life and limb-saving medical interventions to earthquake victims.
News reports indicated that hundreds of people are trapped under rubble in multiple collapsed buildings, including at least 50 construction workers in the Thai capital Bangkok who are so far unaccounted for.
Over 90 people are reportedly trapped in the rubble of one apartment block in Mandalay.
The military has called on the international community to provide emergency assistance after the widespread destruction and loss of life.
The opposition forces are reporting that some airstrikes have continued following the quake, including one in the Sagaing region.
WHO is looking to move Emergency Medical Teams into Myanmar amid reports of insufficient medical supplies, including trauma kits to treat injured people, blood bags for transfusion, anaesthetics, assisted devices, other essential medicines, and tents for health workers.
Marcoluigui Corsi, UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator for Myanmar, issued a statement on Saturday expressed his unwavering solidarity with the Burmese people “during this tragic time.”
“The UN and its partners are urgently mobilizing to support emergency response efforts and stand ready to assist all affected communities wherever they are,” he said.
Myanmar had already been “reeling from an alarming humanitarian crisis, largely driven by persistent conflict and recurrent disasters. At this critical time, the people of Myanmar urgently need the steadfast support of the international community,” he added.
Mr. Corsi said that 20 million people have been impacted by the quake.
He stressed that the UN and partner agencies have a “significant presence” in the disaster-affected areas around Mandalay and the capital Naypyidaw, and crucially, the immediate aid effort can draw stockpiles already in place.
“I would say that although the logistical challenges for the first few days continue, at least we will be able to deliver and assist.”
He stressed that the country is facing with multiple crises with 19.9 million people in need of assistance even before the earthquake.
Only five per cent of the 2025 humanitarian response plan has been funded.
He reminded that the Burmese had endured major flooding around seven months ago, and a devastating cyclone in 2023, so “we see that the resilience of the people and the resilience of the communities, continue to be eroded.”
He said that “at this critical time you know the people of Myanmar needs the support of the entire international community – now more than ever.”
Trevor Clark, the UNICEF’s regional chief of emergency operations, warned that the devastating quake “has left children facing even greater hardship in an already dire crisis.
“Homes and critical infrastructure are damaged, and urgent aid is needed. UNICEF is delivering lifesaving supplies but requires immediate support to scale up its response.
He said UNICEF was sending lifesaving supplies including tents, tarpaulins, hygiene kits, recreational kits and health supplies: “We are ready to bring in even more, but we need the support of our partners.”
Head of OCHA from the Central Emergency Relief Fund released $5.5 million and UN procurement agency, UNOPS, announced that thanks to donors it was releasing $10 million to aid partners in the emergency response.
Comments are closed.