Top officials warns Sudan crisis threatens fragile cross-border progress with Juba

Anjali Sharma

GG News Bureau

UNITED NATIONS, 10th May. Assistant Secretary-General for Africa in the Departments of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs and Peace Operations Martha Ama Akyaa Pobee on Tuesday briefed the members of the UNSC on the impact of ongoing violence within rival military parties in Sudan is threatening bilateral political progress with neighbouring South Sudan, worsen the fragile humanitarian situation, and pose fresh risks.

“The outbreak of violence in the Sudan may deeply impact the chance for political progress on Abyei and border issues,” she said.

Martha Ama Akyaa Pobee said that security in Abyei, a disputed oil-rich border region straddling both African nations, had been a point of contention, but agreements had been reached before the outbreak of violence in Sudan on 15 April, provided updates to the latest report on the unfolding situation.

She noted several concerns were ongoing conflict-triggered disruptions to deployment routes of the UN Interim Security Force for Abyei established in 2011 to implement bilateral border agreements.

“With fighting ongoing and mediation efforts underway, the United Nations will continue to support the Sudan and South Sudan when dialogue on Abyei resumes,” she said.

Ms. Pobee stated “The arrival of additional personnel and equipment will need to be postponed, affecting force capacity,”

She added that planning is currently underway to make alternative arrangements that minimize the delay while safeguarding the security of personnel and equipment.

Top official reiterated that UN country teams in Sudan and South Sudan, with UNISFA, had finalized administrative arrangements for the Abyei Joint Programme and had begun implementing projects to create an environment conducive for peaceful co-existence, including a nutrition centre for women and children and vocational training

“UNISFA is monitoring the potential impact of the fighting in the Sudan, such as an influx of displaced persons, the entry of armed groups into the area or the emboldening of spoilers in local inter-communal relations,” she said.

She noted that evacuations have been conducted.

“While none of these risks have materialized in a major way so far, the Mission remains alert to their possibility,” she said.

“With fighting ongoing and mediation efforts underway, the United Nations will continue to support the Sudan and South Sudan when dialogue on Abyei resumes.”

Hanna Serwaa Tetteh, Special Envoy for the Horn of Africa, told the Council said the conflict is jeopardizing pre-conflict stable relations between Juba and Khartoum.

“The humanitarian, security, economic and political consequences of developments in Sudan have raised concerns among the South Sudanese political leadership,” she said.

She said thousands of South Sudanese hosted in Sudan are returning, with a potential of another 200,000 returnees fleeing the violence “if we do not see stability returning soon”.

This would pose a challenge to South Sudan, where two thirds of the population needs humanitarian assistance.

She stressed that as Sudan is not currently in a position to effectively protect its borders, she raised additional concerns about a possible spike in cross-border movements of armed and criminal groups.

Ms. Tetteh warned that the fighting in Sudan has choked off deliveries of essential goods and food, and could threaten South Sudan’s oil exports.

“The priority now is to stop the fighting and to start constructive negotiations that hopefully would lead to a permanent ceasefire,” she said.

She emphasized that her Office will continue to engage with Sudan and South Sudan towards resolving outstanding issues.

Comments are closed.