Top envoy says ‘uncertainty, heightened risk of war’ prevails in Yemen

Anjali Sharma

GG News Bureau

UNITED NATIONS, 14th Oct. UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg on Thursday told the members of the Security Council that new uncertainty and “a heightened risk of war” prevails across the country after the end of a long truce which brought significant dividends.

Mr. Grundberg was briefing the Coumncil members told that since the truce began over 6 months ago it had started to alleviate the suffering of Yemenis, after 7 years of civil war, and offered “a truly historic opportunity” to work towards a lasting settlement.

He snoted that the period of relative peace between internationally recognized Government forces and Houthi rebels ended 11 days ago and both must choose to either “preserve and build on the truce”, or return to war.

He said that the achievement and benefits of the truce should not be underestimated”, pointed out that it brought “the longest period of calm yet”.

Grundberg said during the pause in fighting, there had been no major military operations, and a 60 per cent decrease in casualties.

He stressed that Sana’a airport had finally opened to international passengers enabled  27,000 Yemenis to get medical treatment overseas and pursue educational or business opportunities abroad.

Some 1.4 million metric tonnes of fuel had been delivered to the crucial Hudaydah ports on the Red Sea; and there had been UN-brokered face-to-face meetings on military de-escalation.

He reiterated that “It is important to remember that the truce was never intended as an end in itself, but as a building block to enhance trust between the parties and establish a conducive environment to work toward a political solution to the conflict”.

He told Council members that the relentless efforts to engage the parties and regional and international partners on renewal options, highlighting discussions in Abu Dhabi and Muscat.

I personally believe that there is still a possibility for the parties to come to an agreement”, Mr. Grundberg said.

He stated “With the stakes this high, it is critical that we do not lose this opportunity. The parties need to demonstrate the leadership, compromise and flexibility required to urgently reach an agreement on the renewal and expansion of the truce”.

Grundberg praised the Council for its support and maintained that its united position on the renewal and expansion of the truce “has made it clear that the international community expects the parties to reach an agreement with a sense of urgency”.

UN Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator in Yemen, Joyce Msuya, described the “terrible dangers” still being faced by civilians as she was briefing via video link from Hudaydah, the governorate most impacted by landmines and explosive hazards.

“Landmines and other explosive hazards have continued to be the main cause of civilian casualties”, she said.

She noted that 70 people were reportedly killed or injured by landmines, improvised explosive devices and unexploded ordnance.

Ms. Msuya added that the impacts go far beyond killing and maiming, “they convert simple everyday activities, like farming, fishing or walking to school, into possible life-or-death scenarios.”

She told the country’s deteriorating economy and collapsing basic services were triggering other perils.

She underscored “We need urgent action to reduce this threat, including increased support for demining projects and facilitation of the importation of equipment”.

Ms. Msuya said she had seen first-hand, markets without food and basic goods, and hospitals and schools lacking fundamental equipment, with “doctors and teachers who are not being paid enough – if at all”.

“Humanitarians are doing their best to address the most urgent needs, but we cannot do this alone, and we cannot substitute the roles of others”, she stated.

She urged Member States for support from donors, development actors and international financial institutions “to turn this tide and chart a path forward”.

Comments are closed.