Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 13th July. Head of the UN Mission in Colombia Carlos Ruiz Massieu on Wednesday briefed the members of the Security Council that the efforts towards building peace in Colombia after decades of conflict are bearing fruit but the threat of renewed violence still looms.
Carlos Ruiz Massieu presented his latest report said that “Colombia is at a critical juncture, a crossroads at which the decisive will of parties and the support of the international community can come together to buttress embryonic peace processes.”
It shows that progress is being made across several sections of the 2016 Peace Agreement signed by the Government and the FARC-EP militia group that ended five decades of civil strife.
He highlighted the peace-related provisions under the National Development Plan adopted in May, legislation on rural reform, and allocation of funding to implement the accord.
Carlos Ruiz Massieu stressed steps taken to establish the Ministry of Equality, and action to improve the situation of indigenous people, Afro-Colombian communities and other vulnerable groups.
He recalled “The central importance of victims is a promise made by the Agreement and a fundamental principle is of its implementation,”.
“Victims must be given pride of place, while the Special Jurisdiction for Peace continues to make progress in its various cases including through new indictments.”
Mr. Ruiz reported that regrettably, violence continues to hinder the full implementation of the peace deal. He expressed hope that a newly adopted security and defense policy will deliver results and approve the situation in affected regions.
“As implementation of rural reform advances, we see an increase in violence against peasant leaders and land claimants and obstacles against government officials working on land reform,” he said.
He added that persistent violence against former combatants is another concern, noted that five have been killed in recent weeks.
“Much more must be done to protect those who exercise leadership and stand up for the rights of entire communities, as well as those who laid down their arms in good faith under the Peace Agreement,” Mr. Ruiz told the council members.
He reiterated UN condemnation for the armed attack last week against members of the Catholic Church in Caldona.
Carlos Ruiz Massieu said Colombia will hold local elections in October and he appealed for “illegal armed actors” to respect the rights of both citizens and candidates.
He urged the authorities to ensure the safety of the vote and the full participation of women.
Mr. Ruiz noted the momentum in the Government’s efforts towards dialogue with various armed groups. A third cycle of negotiations with the ELN group, held in Cuba, has yielded encouraging results.
“Last week, we saw the entry into force of the cessation of offensive action between the parties. That was one step towards the full entry into force of the bilateral, national and temporary ceasefire on 3 August,” he said.
He stressed that the coming days should see the start of a national committee that will encourage the broad involvement of all sectors of society in the peace process.
Mr. Ruiz said the efforts towards dialogue with group known as ‘Estado Mayor Central FARC’.
“I hope that the confidence building between the parties will continue and that soon we will see positive developments regarding the formal commencement of negotiations and a renewed national ceasefire,” he concluded.
Comments are closed.