The 15th Finance Commission headed by Chairman, Shri N.K. Singh alongwith its Members and senior officials met today with the representatives of the Rural Local Bodies of Uttar Pradesh.
The Commission was informed that:
- UP Panchayati Raj Act, 1947 is the act governing PRIs in the State.
- The 5th SFC constituted in 2015, submitted its report on 31st October 2018. The key recommendations are under consideration of the by the Cabinet sub-committee. However, it is yet to be laid in the legislative Assembly. The State is currently implementations the recommendations of the fourth SFC Report.
- Only 15 functions out of 29 envisaged in the Eleventh Schedule of the Constitution devolved to PRIs
- UP has 59,073 Gram Panchayats, 821 Kshetra Panchayats and 75 Zila Parishad .
- According to Pr AG UP, during the period (2013-14 to 2017-18), own revenue generation constituted 2-3% of the total revenues in case of PRIs.