The demolition drive in the riot-hit area comes to a halt two hours after the Supreme Court’s order, with a hearing scheduled for tomorrow

*Paromita Das

The Supreme Court on Wednesday halted the North Delhi Municipal Corporation’s (NDMC) demolition drive in the violence-plagued Jahangirpuri area.

The court said it will hear the petition challenging the civic bodies’ special joint encroachment removal programme in Jahangirpuri, including the NDMC and the PWD, tomorrow.

After hearing Senior Advocate Dushyant Dave’s submission, a bench led by Chief Justice N V Ramana ordered the status quo and said the petition would be heard by an appropriate bench. The demolition drive, however, came to a halt around 1 p.m., nearly 2 hours after the Supreme Court issued its order.

A tobacco shop, a scrap dealer’s shop, a juice stand, and the front gate of a mosque were all demolished. The development infuriated residents of the neighborhood. “What is the connection between demolition and riots?” asked Sushil, 28, according to IANS. Another woman, Najma, stated that the action was completely one-sided.

Heavy security was deployed in the violence-stricken area prior to the start of the drive. Usha Rangnani, DCP Northwest, personally inspected the area.

 

The NDMC’s large-scale “encroachment removal action programme” began after Delhi BJP chief Adesh Gupta wrote to the corporation, asking them to vacate the properties owned by the accused in the “SHOBHA YATRA” incident in Jahangirpuri and take action against them.

“The illegal constructions and encroachments by these rioters should be identified and demolished with bulldozers as soon as possible,” Adesh Gupta wrote to Mayor Raja Iqbal.

The NDMC, which has now been declared null and void following the President’s approval of the merger of all Delhi MCDs, yesterday, agreed to Gupta’s request and scheduled the anti-encroachment drive for Wednesday and Thursday.
“North MCD will remove illegal construction and encroachment on government land in Jahangirpuri today, April 20. We have also requested police force (deployment) to avoid any mishaps in the area, especially in light of recent violence “According to ANI, North Delhi Mayor Raja Iqbal Singh.

“Delhi BJP chief Adesh Gupta wrote to the North MCD saying that illegal encroachments on government property by “anti-social elements” (accused) of the ‘Shobha Yatra’ incident in Jahangirpuri should be vacated and action taken against them,” he added.

On April 16, an altercation between two groups erupted during a religious procession in Delhi’s Jahangirpuri, injuring nine people, including eight police officers and a civilian. So far, 23 people have been arrested and two juveniles have been apprehended in connection with the incident.

 

Comments are closed.