Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 20th June. UN relief official in Ukraine Denise Brown on Sunday said that Russia has so far declined requests to aid residents of Russian-controlled areas of southern Ukraine impacted by the breach of the Kakhovka dam.
UN reported that the destruction of the Soviet-era dam and hydroelectric plant under Russian control has caused widespread flooding across southern Ukraine, washed away homes, destroyed sanitation and sewage systems and crippled water supplies.
Ms. Denise Brown in a statement issued earlier vowed that the UN would press on with relief efforts, “and do all it can to reach all people including those suffering as a result of the dam destruction who urgently need life-saving assistance, no matter where they are.”
“The UN would also continue to engage to seek the necessary access,” the statement said.
“We urge the Russian authorities to act in accordance with their obligations under international humanitarian law,” she said
She added “Aid cannot be denied to people who need it.”
UN noted that the emptying of Kakhovka Reservoir has left thousands of people in southern Ukraine without access to piped water, mainly in the Dnipro region.
According to Ukrainian authorities the reservoir one of the largest in Europe is reportedly 70 per cent empty.
OCHA reported that the width of the reservoir has decreased from three kilometres to one and the water level is now at around seven meters, well below the 12-metre operational threshold.
Comments are closed.