RSS Cancels Events in TN in Order to Appeal Against HC Verdict Allowing Route Marches with Riders

GG News Bureau

Chennai, 6th Nov. The Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) announced on Saturday that it will not hold its proposed route marches on November 6 because certain conditions imposed by the Madras High Court in this regard are “not acceptable.”

According to R Vanniarajan, president of the RSS South Zone, an appeal will be filed against the single judge order.

He stated that the organization had gone to court after the state police refused permission to hold route marches in 50 different locations across the state on October 2.

The court had agreed to hold the programs on Sunday.

“In the ruling given yesterday (November 4), the court saying the procession should be held in indoor stadiums or within four walls is not acceptable to us,” he said.

In states like Kerala, West Bengal, and Jammu & Kashmir such processions were being held in the open, he added.

“We are going to appeal against this verdict (of the HC). Therefore, we state that the processions to be held on November 6 cannot be held,” he added.

Earlier this week, a Sangh source confirmed that the organization had decided to postpone the route marches and public meetings.

On Friday, a single judge bench led by Justice G K Ilanthiraiyan granted the RSS permission to hold route marches and public meetings in 44 locations across Tamil Nadu on November 6, subject to certain conditions.

One of them stipulated that the procession and public meetings take place on public property such as grounds or stadiums.

The rally will not be permitted in six locations, according to the judge: Coimbatore, Mettupalayam, and Pollachi; Palladam in Tiruppur district, Arumanai in Kanniyakumari, and Nagercoil.

The RSS had asked the court for permission to hold the events in 50 different locations to commemorate the country’s 75th anniversary of independence and B R Ambedkar’s 125th birth date.

The judge also stated that no one shall sing songs or speak ill of any individual, caste, or religion during the program.

They shall not, for any reason, speak or express support for Central Government-banned organizations. They should also refrain from any act that would jeopardize the country’s sovereignty and integrity.

Participants are not permitted to bring any stick, lathi, or weapon that could cause harm to anyone.

An undertaking to reimburse the cost for any damage that may occur en route to any public/private property and an undertaking to bear the compensation/replacement costs as well, if they are to be awarded to any other institution/person, who may apply for the same, should be given, Justice Ilanthiraiyan said.

If there is violation of any one of the conditions imposed, the police official concerned is at liberty to take necessary action, as per law, he further said.

Comments are closed.