GG News Bureau
New Delhi, 26th Nov. President Droupadi Murmu paid tribute to all those who lost their lives in the Mumbai 26/11 terror attacks on Saturday.
The President said on the 14th anniversary of the 26/11 Mumbai attacks that the country shares the enduring pain of their loved ones and families.
“On the anniversary of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, the nation remembers with gratitude all those we lost. We share the enduring pain of their loved ones and families. Nation pays homage to the security personnel who fought valiantly and made supreme sacrifice in the line of duty,” the President said.
The 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks killed at least 174 people, including 20 security personnel and 26 foreign nationals, and injured over 300 more.
On November 26, 2011, ten Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists arrived in Mumbai by sea from Pakistan and carried out a series of coordinated shooting and bombing attacks across the city.
The terrorists targeted major landmarks in Mumbai after sailing into the city under the cover of darkness, with the first attack taking place at the crowded Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) railway station.
The attack at this station was carried out by Ajmal Amir Kasab and Ismail Khan, who killed 58 people and injured over 100 more.
Kasab and Khan later tried to attack Cama Hospital, but were foiled by the hospital staff’s foresight. They did, however, kill six police officers, including Hemant Karkare of the city’s Anti-Terrorism Squad, in an ambush after leaving the hospital.
The terrorists who first held them hostage killed a Rabbi, his wife, and six others, including five Israeli citizens, at the Nariman House business and residential complex.
Moshe, the Rabbi couple’s two-year-old son, survived the attack. Then ‘Baby Moshe’ became the face of ruthless terrorism’s innocent victims.
The Leopold Cafe was the third target on November 26th, followed by the Taj Mahal Hotel and Tower. Four terrorists carried out the attack at the famous cafe before entering the iconic Taj hotel, where they killed up to 31 people after laying siege to the hotel for three days.
The Oberoi-Trident hotel was also attacked on November 26th, with another group of two terrorists entering at nearly the same time as the other four had entered the Taj. The siege at the Oberoi-Trident hotel officially ended on the evening of November 28, with up to 30 people killed in the horrific attack.
The attack and seizure ended on November 29, 2008, when the National Security Guards (NSG) secured the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel.
Over 160 people had been killed and hundreds had been injured by the time commandos of the National Security Guards (NSG) gunned down the last terrorists who had been holed up in south Mumbai’s Taj Mahal Palace hotel.
Following the attack, it was found that the ten terrorists had sailed to Mumbai from Karachi, Pakistan’s port city. They traveled to Mumbai by hijacking a fishing dingy and murdering four of the five men on board, leaving one occupant to ferry them to the Mumbai coast.
In these heinous attacks, nine terrorists were killed, and the lone survivor, Ajmal Amir Kasab, was apprehended and sentenced to death in 2012 at Yerwada Central Jail in Pune.
The 26/11 attacks were allegedly planned by the Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD), whose mastermind was Hafiz Saeed.
Comments are closed.