Political chief says ‘Fragile stability’ at risk in Libya

By Anjali Sharma

UNITED NATIONS – Head of the UN Political and Peace building Affairs Rosemary DiCarlo on Wednesday briefed the members of the Security Council said that the dream of a civil, democratic and prosperous Libya remains unfulfilled 14 years after the revolution overthrow the Gaddafi regime.

Rosemary DiCarlo said entrenched divisions, economic mismanagement, continued human rights violations, and competing domestic and external interests, continue to erode unity and stability in the country.

“The fragile stability in Libya is increasingly at risk,” she warned.

The country’s leaders and security actors are failing to put the national interest ahead of their competition for political and personal gain.”

She urged Council members to support the newly appointed UN Special Representative for Libya Hanna Tetteh “in her work to help break the political impasse, resolve Libya’s protracted crisis and support the Libyan people towards unifying Libya’s institutions and holding inclusive national elections.”

Libya has been split between two rival administrations for over a decade, with the internationally recognized Government of National Unity based in the northwest while the Government of National Stability is in the east.

She noted the landmark elections scheduled for December 2021 were cancelled, including due to disputes over the eligibility of candidates.

Ms. DiCarlo stressed the urgent need for progress in Libya.

She said the UN Mission there, UNSMIL is taking steps to revive a political process anchored in the principles of inclusivity and national ownership.

UNSMIL established an Advisory Committee that will provide recommendations to resolve outstanding contentious issues that have prevented national elections from taking place.

The Committee is composed of 20 members who include legal and constitutional experts., she said

She stressed that over a third are women.

Ms. DiCarlo emphasized that it is not a decision-making body, but its proposals will support efforts to remove obstacles to holding national elections.

Many Libyan stakeholders, including political parties, social movements, and women and youth groups, have publicly welcomed its establishment as an opportunity to move the political process forward,” she said.

UNSMIL convened the Committee’s inaugural meeting in Tripoli, last week. Members are meeting over three days this week to examine the contentious issues in detail and begin considering ways to overcome them.

She said that “In parallel, UNSMIL is also taking steps to convene a structured dialogue among Libyans on ways to address longstanding drivers of conflict and develop an inclusive, bottom-up vision for their country’s future”.

The Mission is facilitating consultations among Libyan economic experts to identify priorities, barriers and solutions to achieve sound economic governance.

Ms. DiCarlo said divisions and competition over the control of State institutions continue to dominate the political and economic landscape. No progress has been made on a unified budget or agreed spending framework despite UNSMIL engagement with all relevant stakeholders.

“It is critical to address the issue to support the efforts of the Central Bank of Libya to stabilize the financial situation of the country and enable transparent and equitable public spending,” she explained.

She added that a dispute over the position of president of the High Council of State, a top governing body, also remains unresolved even after six months of litigation and contradictory rulings. The Council now stands “deeply divided and unable to fulfil its institutional role.”

Politicization and political divisions are also hindering progress on national reconciliation, she stated.

UNSMIL facilitated an agreement among three key institutions the Presidential Council, the House of Representatives, and the High Council of State – on a draft law on the issue.

The amendments to the draft law by parliamentarians have raised concerns over the independence of a National Reconciliation Commission.

A charter for reconciliation was agreed earlier this month through a process led by the African Union.  It was adopted on 14 February in the margins of the bloc’s summit in Addis Ababa

She said “While some Libyan stakeholders have supported the charter, others did not.”

Ms. DiCarlo noted that UNSMIL continues to engage with all relevant parties.

The activities of non-State and quasi-State armed groups continue to pose a threat to Libya’s fragile stability.

Ms. DiCarlo called for a full and transparent investigation into an armed attack on a Government of National Unity Minister in Tripoli on 12 February.

She said the Libyan National Army took control of a military base in the south previously held by a GNU-affiliated military officer. Furthermore, the 2020 Ceasefire Agreement has only been partially implemented.

“Renewed efforts by Libyan authorities to implement its remaining provisions are crucial to improve the fragile security situation and to create conditions for the reunification and reform of security institutions,” she said.

On the challenges, she said the continuing trend of arbitrary arrests and enforced disappearances is deeply concerning and the increasing number of deaths in custody is troubling, with 15 cases recorded since March 2024.

Migrants and asylum-seekers, including children, also continue to face serious human rights violations including torture and cruel and inhumane treatment.

The alarming and tragic discovery of mass graves following raids on human trafficking sites highlights the severe danger faced by migrants in Libya,” she said.

She noted that on 7 February a mass grave was discovered on a farm in Jikharra in the northeast; another was found a day later in Al-Kufra in the southeast. To date, 93 bodies have been exhumed.

“A full and independent investigation is critical to bring the perpetrators to justice. “This is yet another reminder of the urgent need to protect migrants and combat human trafficking,” she said.

The joint UNSMIL and UN mission to Al-Kufra engaged with local authorities, partners, refugees and host communities to strengthen humanitarian response for Sudanese refugees, who continue to flee to Libya.

Ms. DiCarlo said the chapter of the 2025 Sudan Refugee Regional Response Plan related to Libya targets 446,000 people and requires $106 million double the support from 2024.

She appealed to donors for their continued support to address the growing needs of Sudanese refugees in Libya and across the region.

Comments are closed.