By Anjali Sharma
UNITED NATIONS – UN human rights office in Geneva on Wednesday expressed deep concern on over a likely offensive against the Darfuri city of El Fasher, in Sudan, which has been besieged for months by the so-called Rapid Support Forces which are battling government troops for control of Sudan.
OHCHR spokesperson Seif Magango said the RSF had issued a statement with an ultimatum to the national army and affiliates to leave the city by Wednesday afternoon.
Government forces were defiant in face of the order.
Mr. Magango said “We renew our call on both parties to de-escalate tensions around the city and to take urgent steps to ensure its civilian population is protected, consistent with their obligations under international law,”.
“The people of El Fasher have suffered so much already from many months of senseless violence and brutal violations and abuses, particularly in the course of the prolonged siege of their city. This must stop.”
UN office of Aid coordination also voiced deep concern on Wednesday over a series of reported drone attacks on civilians and critical civilian infrastructure in the northern, eastern and central areas of Sudan.
The targeted are on the um Dabakir power station around Kosti, south of the capital, Khartoum. This follows another reported strike on a power station in Northern state earlier this week.
OCHA said that major cuts to water and power risk depriving people of access to critical health services and safe water supplies.
It reminded the parties to the conflict under international law, have a clear obligation not to attack objects indispensable to the survival of the civilian population.
Comments are closed.