OHCHR new report warns air workers killed as refugee crisis intensifies in Sudan

By Anjlai Sharma

UNITED NATIONS – UN agencies on Friday said that the ongoing conflict in El Fasher in Sudan and a growing refugee crisis on the South Sudan border have intensified an alarming humanitarian crisis.

The UN human rights office in a new report issued has detailed the catastrophic humanitarian situation unfolding in El Fasher, the capital of Sudan’s North Darfur state. unfolding in El Fasher, the capital of Sudan’s North Darfur state.

The city has been under siege for seven months by fighters from the powerful militia known as the RSF, which has been battling Government forces for control of Sudan since April last year.

UN reported that thousands of civilians are trapped, left at least 782 civilians dead and over 1,143 injured.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk said “The continuing siege of El Fasher and the relentless fighting are devastating lives everyday on a massive scale.”

The report based on 52 interviews conducted in October and November with survivors who fled El Fasher, revealed a widespread use of explosive weapons in populated areas by the Rapid Support Forces and Sudanese Armed Forces together with their allied militias.

These actions raise serious concerns about violations of international humanitarian law, including potential war crimes.

The report highlights attacks on key civilian infrastructure, including hospitals and camps for internally displaced persons.

The Al-Saudi Maternity Hospital, the last remaining public hospital in El Fasher providing surgical and reproductive health services, has been repeatedly shelled by the RSF.

The report noted that Tumbasi Medical Centre was similarly targeted in August, resulting in the deaths of 23 people and injuries to 60 more.

The report also documents increased cases of sexual violence since the siege began, exacerbating the suffering of vulnerable populations.

The Zamzam IDP camp, located 15 km south of El Fasher and home to hundreds of thousands of displaced people, has been shelled six times by the RSF, reportedly killed 15 civilians.

Li Fung, the UN High Commissioner’s Representative in Sudan said “Attacks against the civilian population and protected persons and objects, including medical facilities, may amount to war crimes”.

The situation in El Fasher remains dire with the report warning of potential large-scale attacks on Zamzam camp and the city itself

Mr. Türk cautioned that “Any large-scale attack on Zamzam camp and El Fasher city will catapult civilian suffering to catastrophic levels,”.

OHCHR has called on all parties as well as the international community to engage in mediation efforts and immediately end hostilities.

WFP mourned the deaths of 3 staff members in the Blue Nile state, killed during an aerial bombardment on 19 December.

WFP Executive DirectorCindy McCain condemned the attack, called for accountability.

Any loss of life in humanitarian service is unconscionable. Humanitarians are not, and must never be, a target,” Ms. McCain gravely stated.

UN chief António Guterres in a statement released by his spokesperson Stephane Dujarric in New York said “2024 is the deadliest year on record for aid workers in Sudan. Yet despite significant threats to their personal safety, they continue to do all they can to provide vital support wherever it is needed.

The spillover from the war between rival militaries is overwhelming neighbouring South Sudan.

UNHCR warned hat over 80,000 people have fled into South Sudan in just three weeks, joining the more than one million Sudanese refugees already there.

Marie-Helene Verney, UNHCR Representative in South Sudan warned “The recent surge in arrivals in South Sudan is overwhelming services in border areas, and funding for the humanitarian response remains insufficient.”

UN has called for renewed push for mediation and increased international support to prevent further civilian suffering.

Ms. Fung expressed the need for accountability and compliance with international law particularly due to “the Jeddah Declaration of Commitments that was signed by both parties in May 2023.”

OHCHR report also underscored the urgent need for a thorough investigation into potential war crimes and for those responsible to be held accountable.

The Emergency Relief Coordinator, Tom Fletcher, has allocated $6 million from the UN’s Central Emergency Response Fund to address the humanitarian needs of refugees fleeing conflict in Sudan to Egypt, in support of the ongoing response there.

UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric told reporters in New York on Friday that the conflict in Sudan has created the world’s fastest-growing displacement crisis.

“Of the more than three million people who have sought protection across Sudan’s borders since April of last year, some 1.2 million are being hosted by Egypt – more than in any other country – according to recent data from the Egyptian Government,” he added.

Comments are closed.