Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 14th April. UN High Commission for Human Rights Volker Türk on Thursday said that the sharp rise in migrants and asylum-seekers made the deadly Central Mediterranean crossing into Europe requires urgent action to save lives.
The agency noted that since 2014, over 26,000 people have died or gone missing crossing the Mediterranean Sea. Most of these deaths or disappearances, over 20,000, occurred in the Central Mediterranean, considered among the deadliest migration routes in the world.
Mr. Turk said “We are seeing a steep increase in the number of desperate people putting their lives at grave risk,” .
“We cannot afford to dither, and to become embroiled in yet another debate about who is responsible. Human lives are at stake.”
He called for concerted efforts to ensure swift rescues at sea, and the dignified, effective, and thorough processing of migrants at safe locations.
Turk urged countries to open up more regular migration channels, and to strengthen responsibility-sharing, arrangements for the disembarkation of rescued persons, as well as oversight of migration-related policies and practices.
International Organization for Migration reported that 441 migrants had died in the Central Mediterranean during the first three months of the year, making it the deadliest first quarter on record since 2017.
He lauded the efforts of the Italian Coast Guard, who have rescued some 2,000 people since Friday.
According to IOM, over 400 people remain at sea. Some 4 people died, and over 20 others are missing, after two migrant boats sank off Tunisia on Saturday.
Italy has recorded some 31,300 migrant arrivals so far this year, up from around 7,900 during the same period in 2022.
Most migrants come from Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea, Bangladesh, Tunisia and Pakistan, and they departed from Libya and Tunisia.
“Now is the time for solidarity with Italy and enhanced cooperation to safeguard the protection of the human rights of all people on the move,” said Mr. Türk.
He urged European Union countries to coordinate on migration governance.
Turk noted that Italy this week imposed a State of Emergency to manage the situation.
He stressed that any new policies under it must be in line with the country’s human rights obligations.
“Human rights protections, such as the right to life and the prohibition of refoulement, cannot be derogated from, even during such times,” he said.
Mr. Turk deplored the Italian Government to abandon a new law adopted this year which restricts civilian search and rescue operations, and to refrain from criminalizing those involved providing life-saving assistance at sea.
Comments are closed.