By Anjali Sharma
UNITED NATIONS – UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs reported on Wednesday that the security situation in Myanmar remains highly volatile, with intensified airstrikes across multiple regions which killed dozens of civilians.
OCHA said between 15 and 17 January, airstrikes and clashes in the southeast reportedly resulted in nine deaths and left 31 others injured.
In Rakhine state, three airstrikes in Mrauk-U Township on 18 January reportedly killed 28 people and injured a further 25, in the northwest airstrikes last week claimed the lives of 19 civilians and injured approximately 41 others.
OCHA expressed grave concern for the safety of civilians, highlighting the heightened risks faced by conflict-affected communities amid the violence and limited access to essential services.
It reiterated its call for all parties to the conflict to comply with international humanitarian law and ensure the protection of civilians.
The situation in Myanmar has been in freefall since Myanmar’s military known as the Tatmadaw –overthrew the democratically elected government and arrested key political and government leaders in February 2021.
Over 6,000 civilians have been killed since the military takeover, and countless more injured, including many who lost limbs to landmines and unexploded ordinance.
The crisis has affected vulnerable populations, including the mostly-Muslim Rohingya minority, with hundreds risking dangerous journeys at sea to flee persecution and violence.
UNHCR noted between 3 and 5 January, some 460 Rohingya arrived in Malaysia and Indonesia after weeks at sea.
10 people lost their lives during the journeys. Just three weeks earlier, another 115 refugees had arrived in Sri Lanka, having lost six people at sea.
Hai Kyung Jun, Director of UNHCR Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific, said “Saving lives must be the first priority,” said applauded countries receiving and supporting the vulnerable refugees.
UNHCR warned that as the situation in Myanmar continues to deteriorate, more people are expected to flee in the coming months.
In 2024, over 7,800 Rohingya tried to flee Myanmar by boat an 80 per cent increase from the previous year. The children accounted for 44 per cent of passengers, up from 37 per cent in 2023.
UNHCR urged States to focus on protection at sea, meeting humanitarian needs and addressing false narratives and hate speech against refugees and asylum-seekers arriving on their shores.
“We call on all States to continue search and rescue efforts and make sure that survivors receive the assistance and protection they need,” Ms. Jun added.
Myanmar’s spiraling crisis is being exacerbated by severe underfunding of humanitarian operations, leaving millions without critical support.
Humanitarians estimate that 20 million people – more than a third of the total population – will require assistance this year. Over 6.3 million are children and 7.1 million women.
The humanitarian response remains drastically underfunded.
In 2024, only 34 per cent of the $1 billion required was received, left an estimated 1.4 million people without prioritized support.
In 2025, humanitarians have appealed for $1.1 billion to provide life-saving aid to 5.5 million of the most vulnerable people.
Marcoluigi Corsi, UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator ad interim for Myanmar said “The people of Myanmar cannot afford a repeat of this underfunding in 2025 they need decisive action from the international community, including more resources, and they need it now”.
Comments are closed.