OCHA reports aid trucks reached frontline town ‘Chasiv Yar’ in Ukraine

Anjali Sharma

GG News Bureau

UNITED NATIONS, 11th March. OCHA Office of the humanitarian coordination office on Friday reported that a three-truck convoy of aid from UN agencies reached the town of Chasiv Yar close to the frontline on the eastern front for the shattered city of Bakhmut.

OCHA said the humanitarian supplies had been off-loaded in Chasiv Yar, which is some 10 kilometres to the west of Bakhmut, which Russian forces are attempting to wrest control from Ukrainian troops.

UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric said in aq press briefing in New York that the aid convoy carried supplies for around 2,000 people, “including medical and hygiene supplies, food, solar lamps and tarpaulins.”

The aid was provided by the UN migration agency IOM, UNICEF, UNHCR, the WFP and the WHO.

Mr. Dujarric said “OCHA also note that most of the 16,000 people who previously lived in Chasiv Yar and surrounding communities have now fled”.

“Chasiv Yar was completely cut off from gas supplies more than a month ago and all water is being trucked in. Access to electricity remains extremely limited with the only ambulance which is still functioning, having limited capacity due to insecurity.”

He stressed that the UN and the humanitarian partners were fully committed to supporting civilians still living in Chasiv Yar, which hosts people who have fled the intense fighting in Bakhmut the target of Russia’s winter offensive.

UN sent another inter-agency convoy to nearby Sloviansk to the north, with supplies to people in Soledar, Chasiv Yar and Toretsk.

“So far this year, the UN along with the partners have sent 26 inter-agency convoys to communities living close to the front line, supporting nearly 230,000 men, women and children”, he said.

He added that 10 of those convoys reached communities in areas controlled by Ukrainian Government forces in the Donetsk region, providing much-need items to approximately 100,000 people.

WHO in Ukraine reported that they have verified 833 attacks on healthcare personnel and facilities since last year’s 24 February invasion.

“These attacks caused 101 deaths and 136 injuries”, the agency tweeted. It added that “healthcare should never be a target.”

“Even in the darkest times, music is something that can bring relief”, tweeted the UN in Ukraine after a concert took place in Kyiv despite a wave of Russian missile strikes, to mark the opening by UNESCO of a new official Chair for Music.

The concert was sponsored by UNESCO in Kyiv, was celebrated with a “peace concert” under the baton of Herman Makarenko, orchestra conductor and a UNESCO Artist for Peace, attended by the Resident Coordinator Denise Brown.

Comments are closed.