MEA says no request to provide Consular access to Nikhil Gupta

Anjali Sharma

GG News Bureau
WASHINGTON DC, 23rd June.
 India Ministry of External Affairs on Saturday said that it has not received any request for providing Consular access to Nikhil Gupta, an Indian national accused by the US authorities of having involvement in a murder-for-hire plot against a Khalistani leader.

Gupta was arrested in the Czech Republic at the request of the US and produced in a New York federal court earlier this week.

Ministry of External Affairs Spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal on Friday said “We have so far not received any request for Consular access for Mr Gupta but his family has got in touch with us and we are in touch with the family members. We are looking at the matter as to what can be done on the request”.

Gupta made the “not guilty” plea through his lawyer as he appeared before Magistrate Judge James Cott on Monday.

Assistant Federal Prosecutor Ashley Nichols told the court that Gupta is charged in the murder-for-hire plot.

Judge Cott ordered him to be kept in custody till the next date of hearing on June 28, when a conference on the case is scheduled.

Comments are closed.