Israel govt. approved ceasefire-hostage deal with Hamas

By Anjali Sharma

WASHINGTON – According to local Israeli media reported on Saturday that the Israeli government has approved the ceasefire and hostage release deal with Hamas.

The cabinet approved the deal by a vote of 24-8 which is set to take effect on Sunday.

The deal was approved in the early hours of Saturday.

The agreement will initiate the first phase of the ceasefire in Gaza and facilitate the release of both Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners.

Media reported that as the government has now approved the agreement, opponents of the deal can petition the High Court of Justice against the release of Palestinian security prisoners who are set to be freed, though the court is unlikely to intervene.

Israeli security cabinet had approved the hostage release-ceasefire deal with Hamas and recommended the government to adopt it.

The Israel government’s hostages and missing persons coordination unit on Friday notified the families of the 33 Israeli hostages expected to be set free in the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire deal.

Israel has not been told how many of the 33 are alive, though it expects the majority are. Israel will receive a full status report on all those on the list seven days into the ceasefire.

The order of release is not yet known. The identities of those set to return are expected to be provided 24 hours before each release, as reported by Times of Israel.

Israel said 65 more hostages are currently held in Gaza, including the bodies of at least 36 confirmed dead beyond the 33 hostages set for release in phase one.

The officials stated that as the first phase progresses, talks will focus on the release of remaining hostages, ending the war, and Gaza’s future reconstruction.

Netanyahu’s far-right coalition allies have pressured him not to agree to end the fighting, with families of the remaining 65 hostages fearing the second phase may never happen, and their loved ones could remain in terrorists’ hands.

Israeli and Hamas negotiating teams signed the deal in Doha early Friday after clearing the final hurdles.

Both the US and Qatar, who mediated the negotiations, announced on Wednesday that an agreement had been reached to end the 15-month war in Gaza triggered by Hamas’ October 7, 2023, attack, killed over 1200 civilians and holding over 250 as hostages, of which 100 are still in captivity.

Israel launched a massive counter-attack targeting Hamas units in the Gaza Strip.

It has also drawn criticism from several humanitarian groups over the high number of civilian killings.

According to the Gaza health ministry, over 45,000 people have been killed in Gaza, with half of whom are women and children.

Comments are closed.