By Anjali Sharma
WASHINGTON – Israel’s defence ministry announced on Wednesday it has signed deals worth 1 billion shekels (276 million US dollars) with defence contractor Elbit Systems to boost domestic arms production amid the ongoing conflict in Gaza.
The agreements include the supply of thousands of heavy air munitions and the establishment of a national plant to produce raw materials for the defence industry, sourced mainly from abroad.
The move came as Israel seeks to reduce its reliance on foreign military supplies from the United States, which delayed some bomb shipments last year over concerns about their use in densely populated areas.
Israel’s air force has deployed over 83,000 munitions in airstrikes since the outbreak of hostilities, according to military figures, news media reported.
Defence Ministry Director General Eyal Zamir said in a statement that “This is a central lesson from the war that will enable the IDF (Israel Defense Forces) to continue operating powerfully in all theatres,”
The new raw materials facility aims to strengthen domestic manufacturing independence at a time when some Western governments have expressed reservations about arms supplies to Israel during the Gaza conflict.
The ministry said the agreements would enhance the military’s operational capabilities while boosting the local economy through expanded production lines.
Comments are closed.