India’s BrahMos Strikes Caught Us Off-Guard, Admits Pakistan PM Shehbaz Sharif

GG News Bureau
Islamabad, 30th May: In a rare and candid admission, Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has publicly acknowledged that Indian ballistic missiles struck several high-value targets across Pakistan during the night of May 9–10, under what New Delhi called Operation Sindoor. Speaking during a diplomatic visit to Azerbaijan, Sharif revealed that the Indian military preemptively launched BrahMos missile strikes on multiple Pakistani provinces, including the Rawalpindi airport, foiling Pakistan’s plans for a retaliatory strike.

“On the night of May 9-10, we decided to respond in a measured fashion to Indian aggression. Our armed forces were prepared to act at 4:30 in the morning after Fajr prayers to teach a lesson. But before that hour even arrived, India once again launched a missile attack using BrahMos, and hit various provinces of Pakistan, including the airport in Rawalpindi,” PM Sharif said.

This marked the second public admission by Sharif regarding the extensive damage inflicted by Operation Sindoor, which was launched in retaliation to the April 22 terror attack in Pahalgam that claimed 26 lives. The Indian government stated that the operation specifically targeted terror infrastructure in Pakistan and Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir (PoK).

Earlier this month, Sharif also confirmed that Indian missiles hit Nur Khan Airbase and several other strategic sites in the early hours of May 10. “Around 2:30 AM, General Asim Munir called me on a secure line and informed me that India had launched ballistic missile strikes. One hit Nur Khan Airbase and others targeted additional locations,” he said at a ceremony in Islamabad.

Operation Sindoor: Surgical Precision
According to Indian government sources, the BrahMos missile strikes eliminated approximately 100 terrorists linked to Jaish-e-Mohammed, Lashkar-e-Taiba, and Hizbul Mujahideen. A total of nine terror hubs were targeted—four in mainland Pakistan (Bahawalpur, Muridke, Sarjal, and Mehmoona Joya), and five in PoK (Sawai Nala, Syedna Bilal, Gulpur, Barnala, and Abbas).

Pakistan’s military responded by launching drone strikes on civilian areas in India. In retaliation, India escalated the counter-offensive by targeting key Pakistani military installations including radar systems, command centres, and ammunition depots in Rafiqui, Chaklala, Rahim Yar Khan, Sukkur, and Sialkot.

Ceasefire Agreement and Violations
On May 10, both nations agreed to a full-scale ceasefire, halting hostilities across land, air, and sea. However, Pakistan reportedly breached the truce within hours, prompting a strong response from the Indian side. Despite the initial violations, Indian defence sources later confirmed that the ceasefire would continue indefinitely, aiming to de-escalate tensions.

Call for Talks and India’s Firm Response
In a surprising turn, PM Sharif recently extended an olive branch, expressing Pakistan’s willingness to resume dialogue with India to resolve long-standing issues, including Kashmir, water-sharing, and trade. But India remains firm in its stance.

“We would like to reiterate that terrorism and talks cannot go together,” said External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal. “Any engagement has to be bilateral. Pakistan must hand over to India the listed terrorists we have previously identified. Discussions on Jammu and Kashmir will happen only after Pakistan vacates PoK,” he added. Jaiswal also stated that the Indus Waters Treaty remains suspended until Pakistan irreversibly ends support for cross-border terrorism.

As both nations assess their next steps, New Delhi has sent a clear message: military responses will be swift and precise, and peace talks will only resume when terrorism ends.

Comments are closed.