“Do Not Take Me Lightly”: Maharashtra Dy CM Eknath Shinde Amid Political Tensions

Mumbai- Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde on Friday issued a strong warning, saying, “Do not take me lightly,” in response to alleged death threats. However, his remarks have sparked speculation amid reports of growing tensions between his Shiv Sena faction and ally Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which leads the state government.

When questioned about the threat—police reportedly received emails warning of bombs in his car—Shinde dismissed any fear. “Threats have come before… attempts have been made too, but I am not afraid,” he said.

His following comments, however, have drawn attention. “I have already said this to those who took me lightly. I am a party worker, but I am also a worker of Balasaheb Thackeray. Everyone should take me with this understanding,” Shinde asserted, referring to the late Shiv Sena founder.

The Deputy CM also highlighted his role in the BJP’s return to power, stating, “… In 2022, I changed the government. In my first speech in the Vidhan Sabha (ahead of the 2024 elections), I predicted that Fadnavis would get over 200 seats, and we got 232. That is why I say, do not take me lightly.”

Shinde’s warning, he said, was directed at “those who understand the hint.” His remarks come amid reports of friction with the BJP, particularly after security cover for 55 Shiv Sena MLAs, party officers, and aides was either downgraded or withdrawn. While the government stated that the decision was based on an independent security review, it has led to murmurs of discontent in the Shinde Sena camp.

Additionally, sources suggest Shinde remains unhappy about being asked to step down as Chief Minister in favor of BJP leader Devendra Fadnavis despite his crucial role in last year’s election victory. Tensions have also surfaced over key political appointments, including guardian ministers for Raigad and Nashik districts, and Shinde’s temporary exclusion from the State Disaster Management Authority. His absence from three major government events this month, all attended by Fadnavis, has further fueled speculation.

Despite the growing speculation, BJP leader Ashish Shelar has dismissed talk of any “cold war,” insisting that Shinde did not resent relinquishing the Chief Minister’s post. Meanwhile, Shinde himself has downplayed the tensions, stating, “There is absolutely no cold war.”

The BJP-Shinde Sena-Ajit Pawar-led NCP alliance, which secured an easy win in the November elections (BJP – 132, Shinde Sena – 57, NCP – 41), took nearly two weeks of intense negotiations to finalize the Chief Ministerial post. With BJP securing a majority with Ajit Pawar’s support, Shinde appeared to be left with little choice but to step aside for Fadnavis.

Comments are closed.