GG News Bureau
New Delhi, 30th Sep. A restaurant in South Delhi, which allegedly did not allow a woman journalist wearing a saree to enter last week, has now been closed. A notice was issued to the restaurant by the municipal body because of not having a valid license and then it has been closed now.
According to the information, South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) Mayor Mukesh Suryan has confirmed that the restaurant has been closed. Suryan said, “Aquila restaurant was running without a valid licence. We issued them a notice of closure, after which it is now closed. The restaurant was running without taking approval from the body. Therefore, we are also exploring the possibility of other action including provision for imposition of fine under the DMC (Municipal Corporation of Delhi) Act.”
SDMC officials said on Wednesday that a notice was issued for closure of Aquila restaurant located at Ansal Plaza in Andrews Ganj as it was operating without a valid licence. The notice was issued on 24 September which stated that the Public Health Inspector of the area, on investigation on 21 September, found that the establishment was operating in unhygienic conditions without a health trade licence.
The restaurant had also illegally occupied public land. The notice issued by the SDMC said, “The Public Health Inspector inspected the site again on 24 September and found that the business was going on in the same condition. You are directed to close the business within 48 hours from the date of receipt of this notice failing which appropriate action may be taken including sealing without issuing any notice.”
The restaurant owner, in his reply on September 27, said that the said business has been immediately closed and will not be run without the SDMC trade license.
In a Facebook post last week, a woman journalist claimed that she was not allowed to enter the restaurant because she was wearing a sari. The woman journalist had also posted a purported video of a scuffle with the restaurant’s staff.
Comments are closed.