By Anjali Sharma
UNITED NATIONS – UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine on Sunday has deplored a deadly Russian missile and drone strikes that killed at least 13 civilians and injured 65 others, warned that the attack underscores the grave risks of using powerful explosive weapons in populated areas.
According to the UN mission, the overnight assault from Saturday into Sunday one of the largest since Russia’s full-scale invasion in February 2022 resulted in civilian casualties and damage to homes and infrastructure across 10 regions of Ukraine, including Kyiv.
It noted that 3 children were among those killed and 9 children were reported injured.
The mission is working to verify the full extent of the casualties and the broader impact of the attack.
HRMMU Head, Danielle Bell said in a news release on Sunday that “With at least 78 people reported killed or injured across the country, last night’s attack tragically demonstrates the persistent deadly risk to civilians of using powerful weapons in urban areas, including those far away from the frontline”.
“It is yet another addition to the staggering human toll this war continues to inflict on civilians, with more families across the country now grieving their losses,” she added.
Matthias Schmale, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Ukraine voiced deep concern over the civilian suffering.
“I am horrified that yet again civilians among them children were killed in last night’s massive attacks,” he said in a statement posted on the social media platform X.
“Across Ukraine, no place is safe. Homes and civilian infrastructure were hit. Grateful to humanitarian NGOs and state services are immediately supporting affected people. Civilians must never be a target.”
Ukrainian authorities reported that the Russian armed forces launched 367 missiles and loitering munitions during the night, in a coordinated attack with air, sea and land-based systems.
The strike followed a similar assault the previous night, which had mainly targeted the Kyiv region.
HRMMU noted that the use of long-range weapons in urban areas has been a major driver of civilian casualties in March and April. While the number of casualties in May had been somewhat lower than April before the latest attack, the toll from this weekend’s strikes will add to the monthly figures.
Comments are closed.