Sports Ministry Revokes Suspension of Wrestling Federation of India, Paving Way for Asian Championship

New Delhi: In a major development for Indian wrestling, the Sports Ministry on Tuesday lifted the suspension on the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI), ending months of uncertainty that had clouded the sport. The decision clears the way for selection trials ahead of the upcoming Asian Championship in Amman, Jordan, scheduled to begin on March 25.

The WFI had been suspended on December 24, 2023, following governance lapses and procedural irregularities by its newly elected body, which took office just days earlier on December 21. The ministry cited violations in administrative conduct and a failure to adhere to standard procedural guidelines.

Why Was WFI Suspended?

The controversy erupted when the Sanjay Singh-led WFI body announced that the Under-15 and Under-20 National Championships would be held in Nandini Nagar, Gonda—a stronghold of former WFI chief Brijbhushan Sharan Singh, who was facing sexual harassment allegations. The choice of venue raised concerns within the government, leading to the federation’s suspension.

In its order lifting the suspension, the Sports Ministry acknowledged that the WFI had taken corrective measures and, in the larger interest of the sport and athletes, reinstated the federation.

Reactions to the Decision

WFI President Sanjay Singh welcomed the move, emphasizing that the suspension had affected Indian wrestlers. “I thank the government for taking this step. It will allow us to function smoothly. It was needed for the sake of the sport. The athletes were suffering for lack of competitions,” he told PTI.

Former WFI chief Brijbhushan Sharan Singh, who had faced protests from prominent wrestlers including Olympic medalists Bajrang Punia and Sakshi Malik, also expressed relief. “This struggle lasted for about 26 months, and today the Wrestling Federation has been reinstated by the government. We thank the Sports Minister. If anyone suffered due to this, it was the players and junior athletes. Now, the federation must ensure that all wrestling tournaments resume as before,” he said in a statement to ANI.

Sports Ministry’s Directives to WFI

While lifting the suspension, the Sports Ministry has issued a set of directives to ensure proper governance within the WFI:

  • The federation must maintain a balance of power among its elected officials.
  • The WFI must disassociate itself from suspended or terminated officials.
  • The Executive Committee (EC) of WFI must submit an undertaking within four weeks confirming compliance with these directives.
  • Violations of these directives could lead to further legal action under the Sports Code.
  • Selection trials for international events must be conducted in a free, fair, and transparent manner as per the Sports Code and United World Wrestling (UWW) regulations.

How Has the Suspension Affected Indian Wrestlers?

The suspension of WFI had severely impacted Indian wrestlers’ participation in key international events. They missed out on competing in Ranking Series tournaments in Zagreb and Albania, which are crucial for Olympic qualifications and world rankings. Additionally, legal cases filed by Vinesh Phogat, Bajrang Punia, and Satyawart Kadian added further complications to the situation.

With the Asian Championship in Amman fast approaching, the revocation of suspension is expected to provide much-needed relief to athletes and ensure their timely participation in the event. The WFI will now have to act swiftly to organize selection trials, ensuring that India’s top wrestlers get a fair chance to represent the nation on the international stage.

As Indian wrestling moves forward, all eyes will be on how effectively the WFI adheres to the government’s directives and ensures a transparent and athlete-centric approach in the days ahead.

Comments are closed.