World body suspends official work as staffers detained in Yemen

By Anjali Sharma

UNITED NATIONS – UN on Friday has suspended all official movements by its teams into and out of Houthi-held areas of Yemen, after more UN staffers were detained on Thursday.

The de facto rulers of much of the country, including Sana’a, released the crew of a merchant ship who had been held for more than a year, earlier this week.

The move raised hopes that more than 60 staff from the UN, international organizations and diplomatic missions already being held by the Houthis over the past year, might be released.

UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen said that Friday’s safety measure announced by Julien Harneis, came as the organization faces mounting security challenges in its operations in Yemen.

The Houthis and the internationally-recognized Government have been fighting for control of the country in what has become a wider regional proxy war, for over a decade.

“Yesterday, the de facto authorities in Sana’a detained additional UN personnel working in areas under their control,” Mr. Harneis said.

Mr. Harneis said “To ensure the security and safety of all its staff, the United Nations has suspended all official movements into and within areas under the de facto authorities’ control this measure will remain in place until further notice.”

UN Deputy Spokesperson Farhan Haq elaborated on the response later on Friday, highlighted the UN’s ongoing efforts:

“Our officials in Yemen are actively engaging with senior representatives of the de facto authorities, demanding the immediate and unconditional release of all UN personnel and partners.”

He noted that the detentions mark a troubling escalation for humanitarian operations in Yemen, where access and security remain critical concerns.

World body emphasized the importance of upholding the safety and neutrality of its personnel to ensure lifesaving aid reaches those needed.

Comments are closed.