UN mission says communal violence key factor in South Sudan conflict

By Anjali Sharma

UNITED NATIONS – UN mission in South Sudan on Monday said that communal violence remains the main factor of conflict in South Sudan and continues to exact a heavy toll on civilians across the country.

UN Mission in South Sudan or UNMISS in an update covered July to September last year expressed concern about the steep increase in abductions and combat-related sexual violence, compared with the same period last year.

UNMISS’s human rights division said that 299 non-combatants were killed between July and September last year, along with 310 injured and 151 abducted.

Over 32 people were also subjected to sexual violence in conflict settings, the mission said.

UNMISS noted that the killings and injuries were highest in Warrap State, accounted or 60 per cent of the total casualties, while most abductions took place in Central Equatoria State represents nearly 7 in 10 of the national total.

The peacekeeping mission reported that tensions between Government security forces and so-called National Salvation Front splinter groups “continue to threaten civilians across the Greater Equatoria region” in violation of terms agreed upon and signed by both parties.

Head of UNMISS Nicholas Haysom condemned the “trend of increasing violence against women and abductions” and reiterated the peacekeepers’ efforts to protect civilians, amid years of clashes and attempts at ceasefires between government and opposition forces.

Haysom urged “national, state and local authorities, as well as community leaders to resolve longstanding grievances and find locally sustainable solutions to conflict drivers”, while also urged the Government of South Sudan “to swiftly investigate human rights violations and abuses” so that those responsible can be held accountable.

Mr. Haysom said.UNMISS will continue its land, air and waterway patrols, promoting community dialogues, enhancing security and supporting electoral preparations

Comments are closed.