Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 14th Oct. UN agencies on Friday has appealed for urgent funds to assist the hundreds of thousands people in Afghanistan affected by deadly earthquakes in Herat.
According to the UN agencies, women and children make up over 90 per cent of the victims.
A dust storm also hit many affected villages destroyed hundreds of tents, including many at the Gazergah Transit Centre, where many displaced families were sheltering.
OCHA reported that families impacted were moved from the Centre to a school in Herat city where they will require food and non-food relief items.
UNHCR launched a $14.4 million humanitarian appeal to provide shelters, heaters and warm clothes to survivors sleeping out in the open, ahead of the approaching bitter winter.
UN agency will provide legal assistance and counselling, including helping recover and process key documents so that households, including refugees and internally displaced returnees, can exercise their civil rights.
UNICEF issued an initial appeal earlier this week for $20 million to deliver emergency and trauma care for newborns and children, repair schools and healthcare facilities, and provide psychosocial and mental health support to children and families.
According to the UN agency communities in the region were suffering from the effects of years of conflict, insecurity and climate-induced disasters.
Rushnan Murtaza, acting UNICEF Representative in Afghanistan said “These deprivations have now collided, creating an unprecedented humanitarian emergency for children.”
“UNICEF and our partners have been on the ground since day one, providing life-saving assistance for children, but we need additional support to bring children the healthcare, protection, and clean water they desperately need.”
UN agencies and partners making relief efforts and assess the scale of damage.
OCHA said that damage to heath facilities is of particular concern, as over 580,000 people have been cut off from medical care. Several schools have also sustained damage and are not operational.
WFP supplied over 95 tons of food rations and food commodities to thousands of affected people.
UNICEF, UNHCR and the International Organization for Migration delivered shelter, food and non-food assistance to over 550 families in 15 affected villages.
Comments are closed.